Form of Government
The City of Bloomfield is governed by four council members elected at large and a mayor.
Each member of the City Council serves with minimal financial compensation.
All governmental meetings are open to the public and residents are encouraged to participate in the development of their community.
Council meetings are held:
Second and fourth Monday of each month
⇛ City Council Agendas
⇛ City Council Minutes
⇛ City Ordinances
⇛ City Resolutions
6:00 pm in the City Council Chambers
915 N. First Street
Mayor Cynthia Atencio
I graduated from Bloomfield High School in 1988. I started working in Government in 1996. I worked for the City of Bloomfield for 18 years. I assisted the Chief of Police in maintaining and adjusting the Department budget accordingly. I served as the Grant Coordinator, working with State and Federal agencies to acquire, maintain and report grant funds. In 2014 I pursued a career in the Natural Gas industry. My time away helped me to see the private sector and how it functions.
I was elected Mayor in March of 2018. Bloomfield is my home, the only home my husband and children have ever known.
I am an avid supporter of our Youth in our Community and the programs that nurture them. Our future is our children. I have worked with our City Council to support the Bloomfield Boys & Girls Club. We are continually working together to invest in our future for all of our Citizens.
I have worked in IT Client Support for 19 years. My husband is the principal at BHS and our son Kyle is currently at Fort Benning, GA - Army. I enjoy coaching track and cross country at BHS and working with our middle school and high school kids. I am a parishioner at St. Mary Church Bloomfield, NM and am proud to
be a part of Bloomfield City Council.
I have lived in Bloomfield since 1980, and graduated Bloomfield High School in 1983. In 1989 I met my wife Tonya, and we married the following year. We have three grown children and four grandchildren. All three of my children graduated Bloomfield high school. It is truly an honor to serve the residents of Bloomfield as a city councilor. I have had the pleasure of serving you in various positions I've held, dating back to 1987. My background includes:
• Being hired as a police officer with Bloomfield Police Dept., in 1987 where I achieved the rank of patrol sergeant prior to transferring to the San Juan County Sheriff's Office in 1995. There I achieved the ranks of detective and patrol sergeant, before retiring in 2007.
I am committed to serving the citizens of Bloomfield in a fair and ethical manner, voting my conscience, faithfully attending council meetings and studying the issues. I am grateful for the trust and confidence that my community has placed in me over the years and take the responsibility very seriously.
• In 2004 I was elected to serve on the Bloomfield City Council.
• In 2006 I was elected Mayor of Bloomfield, serving three consecutive four-year terms ending in 2018.
• In 2008 I was elected as a San Juan County Commissioner (District 3), serving two consecutive four-year terms from 2009 through 2016.
• In November of 2021 I was elected to the Bloomfield City Council, where I currently serve.
• I enjoy spending time with my family, being involved in my community and church, volunteering, camping, and travelling.